SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCSC) - A law firm has filed a lawsuit against Pinewood Preparatory School and its former headmaster Glyn Cowlishaw on behalf of an alleged victim of former Charleston-area teacher and coach Louis "Skip" Reville.
ReVille, who's confessed to sexual abusing up to a dozen school aged boys, worked as a teacher and coach at Pinewood Prep.
The alleged victim, represented by Motley Rice LLC, said that from 2004 until ReVille left Pinewood Prep, ReVille subjected him to sexually abusive behaviors numerous times. At that time the victim was a middle school student.
Pinewood Prep ended ReVille's employment at the school in May of 2006.
Motley Rice Director of Marketing and Communications Alicia Ward said the lawsuit alleges that the school and Cowlishaw "breached their duty of care and committed gross negligence in the hiring, supervision and retention of ReVille as a teacher and coach."
The filing also claims civil conspiracy. ReVille has identified the alleged victim in the lawsuit as one of his victims to criminal investigators, Ward also said.
"We believe that the defendants' reckless oversight and irresponsible silence allowed ReVille to be in numerous situations during his employment that enabled his sexually abusive behavior," said Marlon Kimpson, a lawyer on the victim's legal team. "We expect schools and their leaders to protect the childrenin their care by providing them a safe environment. We allege that did not happen here."
"In our opinion, silence among the adults at Pinewood Prep about ReVille's behavior allowed him to continue to operate unchecked in our community. Our goal is to help our client begin to heal and prevent similar tragedies. We believe there is additional information about ReVille's actions in the community and encourage anyone with more information to come forward," said Laura Khare, another attorney on the victim's legal team.
ReVille is facing charges in Mt. Pleasant and Hanahan. Summerville police also are investigating the former coach and assistant school principal.
ReVille is being held in the Charleston County Detention Center on more than $1 million bond.
- Family considering lawsuit against Pinewood Prep
- Hanahan police to charge ReVille in five cases
- Congressman seeks hearing on Citadel, Penn State sex abuse scandals
- Citadel releases transcripts of interview with alleged victim
- The Citadel on ReVille case: 'We're profoundly sorry'
- Sandusky interview surprises even Bob Costas
- Sandusky says he only 'horsed around' with kids
- Citadel: Campers watched porn in ReVille's dorm room in 2002
- Police deny asking The Citadel to withhold information in ReVille case
- New charges filed against ex-principal accused of sex crimes
- Mt. Pleasant principal, coach accused of sexually assaulting teens