Boy bitten by rattlesnake breathing on his own

GOOSE CREEK, SC (WCSC) - An 8-year-old boy who was bitten by a rattlesnake is now breathing on his own.

Zach Szalas' family says he is now breathing on his own with the help of a trachea tube, but he still can't open his mouth or talk. Szalas was bitten at Wannamaker Park last month.

Doctors have been giving him anti-venom, but his aunt says he is now off the medication. They believe that he was bitten by a timber rattlesnake.

Family members say Zach Szalas ran off a trail and stepped onto the snake. Zach was rushed to MUSC where he received more than 30 vials of anti-venom.

Related Links

Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.