CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - An 8-year-old boy who was bitten by a rattlesnake in Wannamaker Park last month has been upgraded to fair condition.
Zach Szalas is still hospitalized at MUSC after being bitten by a rattlesnake, but is doing better. Last week, Szalas' family said he was breathing on his own with the help of a trachea tube. The boy still can't open his mouth or talk.
Doctors have been giving him anti-venom, but his aunt says he is now off the medication. They believe that he was bitten by a timber rattlesnake.
Family members say Zach Szalas ran off a trail and stepped onto the snake. Zach was rushed to MUSC where he received more than 30 vials of anti-venom.