MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Representative Thad Viers has turned himself in to Myrtle Beach Police after an ex-girlfriend claimed he had been harassing her for several months.
According to a police report obtained by WMBF News, the 28-year-old ex-girlfriend of Viers told police she broke off her relationship with him in June or July of 2011, but he continued to call, text, email and show up at her home and work.
She said she had asked Viers multiple times to stop and has contacted Myrtle Beach Police in the past, but was reluctant to do anything because she did not want to hurt Viers reputation or career if the information were to be made public.
The report further states that on Dec. 16, an officer spoke with Viers near the victim's home and told him not to ignore her multiple no contact requests. According to the report Viers said he understood and would comply with the requests.
At that time, the victim said she didn't want to press charges and just wanted him to stop contacting her.
On Dec. 22, Viers again allegedly contacted the victim by email and then used a mutual acquaintance's cell phone in order to text her on Dec. 31.
The victim was able to give police a three-ring binder containing extensive documentation of Viers' contact with her.
According to the report, the victim and her attorney sent Viers a no contact demand and the victim's father also sent a no contact demand.
Viers is a fifth term South Carolina State Representative who announced in early August he would run for Congress in South Carolina's new 7th Congressional District.
The Palmetto State politician is a self proclaimed fiscal conservative from Myrtle Beach.
Viers turned himself into Myrtle Beach Police Friday afternoon and has been charged with harassment. During a hearing at 4 p.m., he received a personal recognizance bond of $5,000. His initial court appearance will be Feb. 24.
This is not Viers' first brush with the law for harassment. In 2006, Viers was accused of threatening to 'beat up' a man dating his estranged wife, according to WMBF News' sister station WIS.
He pled no contest to misdemeanor unlawful communication and was ordered to pay a $500 fine.
Friday afternoon, Viers released the following statement on his website that he would be withdrawing from the race for the 7th District:
"As of today, I am withdrawing from the race for South Carolina's new 7th Congressional District due to personal reasons, and I will not be a candidate for any office in 2012. While I had hoped to join South Carolina's conservative congressional delegation in fighting back against Washington's out-of-control spending spree, now is not the time. Instead, I will focus on building my law practice and advocating free market principles here in Horry County."