FARGO, ND (KVRR/CNN) – A rescued dog returned the favor by saving his owner's life from a house fire in North Dakota.
It began as a normal day for Phyllis Leitheiser and her dog Sierra in Fargo, ND, but their usual morning was interrupted when Sierra kept coming into Leitheiser room trying to get her up.
"I just felt something beside me and when I looked there she was," Leitheiser said. "She was right up against my bed."
Even though Leitheiser bedroom is off-limits to Sierra, she was determined to get Leitheiser out of the bed.
"She did this four times and in between she was pacing in the kitchen," Leitheiser said.
Sierra's determination won and Leitheiser got up to see what the commotion was all about.
"I saw a couple of sparks come down and thought, 'Can I have a chimney fire,'" asked Leitheiser. "So, I went out to look and knew I had a chimney fire."
Thanks to Sierra's elevated senses, the pair escaped in the house in the nick of time.
"I'm sure she could smell it or hear it, which I don't smell good and I don't hear good," Leitheiser said.
Leitheiser is relieved she's alive and has her dog to thank for it.