High speed chase suspect behind bars after 'reckless rampage'

Timothy Shawn McManus (Source: Charleston County Detention Center)
Timothy Shawn McManus (Source: Charleston County Detention Center)

AWENDAW, SC (WCSC) - The man who led Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon and several deputies on a 25-mile chase at speeds in excess of 100 mph remains behind bars after a judge set bond at $102,550. Cannon and others had to fire shots at his vehicle to end the pursuit.

Investigators charged 31-year-old Timothy Shawn McManus with failure to stop for blue lights and sirens, reckless driving, driving under suspension third-offense and resisting arrest.

It took the combined forces of Cannon, several of his deputies, a K-9 unit and bullets to stop what investigators call McManus' "reckless rampage."

The sheriff's office says that McManus continued to resist arrest and attempted to spit on a deputy following a high speed chase from Mt. Pleasant to Awendaw during which the sheriff and his deputies fired multiple shots to stop McManus.

"He's not a bad person, he's trying to work. We've got three kids," Melissa McManus told the judge during the bond hearing at court. McManus said she believed her husband ran because he was driving under suspension.

Cannon said the incident began around 10 a.m. when he tried to stop a pick-up truck that was driving erratically on Highway 17 in Mt. Pleasant. The sheriff said he turned on his blue lights and the truck driver hit the gas at speeds exceeding 100 mph.

When the chase hit Awendaw, the sheriff grabbed his gun as the guy came at his car.

"I shot several times at his tire and believe I hit his front right tire," Cannon said.

According to authorities, McManus then traveled through an intersection causing several collisions.

Cannon then contacted Charleston County dispatch, told them to notify surrounding law enforcement and got the licence plate numbers off the suspect's vehicle. The vehicle chase then continued through Mt. Pleasant and went through several Francis Marion National Forest access roads.

When the suspect's vehicle was on Highway 17, authorities say the truck was traveling at speeds of more than 100 mph. According to investigators, the suspect then saw deputy-deployed stop sticks on the road and cut across the grass median with "no regard for public safety."

At this point a deputy attempted to shoot the suspects tires out to "stop his reckless rampage."

Authorities report that the suspect's vehicle was traveling at speeds of more than 120 mph with some of the vehicle's tires coming apart. Deputies say the suspect then attempted to make a left turn onto Willow Hall Road, but due to the condition of the tires, the vehicle slid into the grass.

An incident report states that when a deputy attempted to subdue the suspect at gun point, the suspect turned back towards his vehicle and reached under the front seat.

The deputy says he forced the suspect to the ground as the suspect continued to resist deputies. Authorities say the suspect stopped resisting after a K-9 unit grabbed a hold of his arm.

Investigators say when the suspect was handcuffed, he continued to resist while being walked back to a patrol vehicle and attempted to spit on a deputy. Deputies say the suspect continued to pull against deputies and flail his legs.

The suspect was then transported to East Cooper Hospital for his injuries.

Related Links

Copyright WCSC 2012. All rights reserved.