Quantcast

Man who shut down Ravenel Bridge for hours says he's sorry - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Man who shut down Ravenel Bridge for hours says he's sorry

MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) -

The man charged with reckless driving for shutting down the Ravenel Bridge last month says he's sorry.

Phillip DeClemente agreed to meet with reporters at his Mount Pleasant home on Tuesday. But he refused to answer any questions when reporters arrived. Instead, he gave Live 5 News' Harve Jacobs a thumb drive with some files and a written statement.

In the statement, DeClemente apologizes to drivers who suffered any kind of loss on Feb. 2. 

On that day, DeClemente stopped his SUV atop the Ravenel bridge forcing police into a two and a half hour stand off.

DeClemente writes he did it in "a desperate attempt to get justice." 

He claims he parked his car on the bridge to draw attention to a dispute with a former business associate over a case and what he calls ongoing harassment by the police.

Copyright WCSC 2012. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly