WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) - A family of seven including four children are without a home after their mobile home was destroyed by a fire Friday afternoon in the 300 block of Chris Lane near Ritter.
The Colleton County Fire and Rescue say an electrical short is to blame for a fire that started in the ceiling of the double wide trailer. The call came in at approximately 11:49 p.m. after light smoke was seen coming from the roof vents.
Firefighters did not see any smoke inside the home, but the outside of the trailer continued to get worse as crews tried to locate the fire. Fire officials had to use a thermal imaging camera to locate a hot spot within the home.
Fire crews were able to locate the source of the fire in the ceiling above the kitchen and a bedroom. Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly.
The home received some water damage and no one injured in the fire. The American Red Cross is assisting this family with food and clothing lost because of the fire.