Charleston County sheriff's deputies are still looking for clues into the disappearance of a 36-year-old West Ashley woman who hasn't been seen since March 17, 2012. Below is a timeline of events:
Saturday, March 17, 2012 2:30 p.m.
- Robert and Gayle McCaffrey go out to eat Saturday afternoon. Robert says after returning both get into a verbal argument and takes a walk around the neighborhood.
Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:45 p.m.
- Robert told deputies he returned from his walk and sees his wife on the bed who ignores him.
Saturday, March 17, 2012 10 p.m.
- According to Robert, he leaves their West Ashley home and heads to their home in Easley, SC.
Sunday, March 18, 2012 2:15 a.m
. - Authorities say Robert is issued a speeding ticket in Traveler's Rest.
Sunday, March 18, 2012 6:30 a.m.
- Robert says he returns home with his wife nowhere to be found.
Sunday, March 18, 2012 5:19 p.m.
- The Charleston County Sheriff's Office respond to a home on Limestone Boulevard and meet with Robert McCaffrey who tells them his wife is missing.
Monday, March 19, 2012 evening
- The Charleston County Sheriff's Office holds a press conference to discuss details of the case.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 morning
- Investigators search a marsh off Furman Drive near the couple's home after receiving reports of possible buzzard activity. The search is called off after deputies say they found a dead dog believed to be the cause of buzzards in the area.
Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6 p.m.
- Family and friends hold a church service at First Baptist Church in downtown Charleston for Gayle.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 2 p.m. -
Judge rules to give custody of McCaffrey children, ages 10 and 4, to Gayle McCaffrey's sister, Debbie Pearson.
Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:30 p.m. -
Charleston County Sheriff's Office names person of interest in case. Investigators are not releasing the person's name at this time, but say they will shift their investigation back to the couple's home.
Friday, March 23, 2012 morning -
Investigators search the couple's West Ashley home and are seen leaving with two bags of possible evidence.
Tuesday, March 27, 2012 morning
- Charleston County deputies search in the general area of Bees Ferry Road and Highway 61, but say they find nothing new.
Thursday, April 5, 2012 morning -
Charleston County Sheriff's Office crews resume searching along Highway 61.
Wednesday, May 2, 2012 morning -
Charleston County Sheriff Al Cannon says investigators now believe McCaffrey was murdered, and her husband, Robert McCaffrey, is the suspect.
Thursday, May 3, 2012 morning -
150 searchers scour new area north of Drayton Hall Plantation off Highway 61, but find nothing.
Friday, May 4, 2012 morning -
12 detectives return to the new site with search dogs, but again come up empty.
Tuesday, October 23, 2012 afternoon
- Sheriff Cannon says new searches in relation to the case are possible.
Friday, November 9, 2012 1 p.m.
- Sheriff's office announces they will search the area of Freeman Bridge Road in Easley in relation to the case.
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
- Sheriff's office searches area in Newberry County based on a dream a friend of a family member had. Nothing is found.
Monday, February 4, 2013
- The sheriff's office returns to a site previously searched off Highway 61 near Magnolia Plantation.
Friday, June 13, 2014
- A new search along Bees Ferry Road near McCaffrey's home wraps up, producing no new evidence or leads.