Quantcast

Increase in pollen count may be frustrating, but it's important - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Increase in pollen count may be frustrating, but it's important

COTTAGEVILLE, SC (WCSC) -

Pollen is all over cars, the ground and everywhere else. It is forcing many people to stay indoors. The yellow stuff we complain about is actually vital to our everyday life. Pollen takes flight with major help from the honey bee.

"They take it from flower to flower and cross pollinate and that's why our fruits taste the way they do," said Bee City Owner Scott Biering.

For 20 years, Scott Biering and his family at Bee City in Cottageville have been trying to educate the public on the importance of pollen and the need for bees.

Bee City is the home of millions of honey bees and churns out hundreds of gallons of liquid gold.

"People just think pollination and flowers in the yard that goes full circle for the animals and for food," Biering said.

Biering says Honey bees alone do about 80 percent of pollination which is very important to the food you eat, the candles you burn and the makeup you wear. The other 20 percent of pollination is done by the wind, birds and bats.

Biering says not only is honey used in many of the items we consume at the grocery store, but the cosmetic industry is the No. 2 consumer of beeswax produced from the honey bee as well as candles.

Biering says people even come to Bee City to purchase bee pollen he says its used to build up the body's immunity towards certain pollen.

Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly