Quantcast

Official: Smoking in bed caused fire on Ashley Avenue - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Official: Smoking in bed caused fire on Ashley Avenue

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

A fire official says the blaze which damaged an Ashley Avenue home on Tuesday started because some occupants were smoking cigarettes in bed.

Charleston Fire Department spokesman Mark Ruppel said earlier this week the fire was not suspicious. Five people were displaced by the fire, which broke out just before 1:30 a.m. at 264 Ashley Avenue.

While no occupants were injured, a firefighter did suffer a minor injury when he was hit by falling debris. He was taken to MUSC as a precaution and was released a few hours later.

Copyright 2012 WCSC.  All rights reserved.

SLIDESHOW: Fire destroys home

PHOTO SLIDESHOWClick here to view more photos. More>>

Powered by Frankly