It may not have crystal clear blue water, but a list of other amenities puts a Kiawah Island beach in the nation's top 10.
Stephen P. Leatherman, known as "Dr. Beach", has released his 22nd annual Top 10 Beaches list, and Beachwalker Park in Kiawah Island came in at #9. Leatherman, a San Diego Coastal scientist, compiles the list annually using 50 criteria, including sand and water quality, safety, and environmental management.
Dr. Beach says the 25-mile long beach is a "nature-lover's coast" full of visitors with canoes, kayaks and bicycles. He also compliments the island's plant and animal life.
And while the water is not clear, he says it makes up for it by being clean and home to "fantastic seafood."
Here is a complete list of Dr. Beach's 2012 Top 10 Beaches:
1. Coronado Beach, San Diego
2. Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
3. Main Beach, East Hampton, N.Y.
4. St. George Island State Park, Florida
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
6. Coast Gaurd Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
7. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
8. Cap Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Fla.
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.