Quantcast

Grandmother of fire victim: 'My heart broke' - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Grandmother of fire victim: 'My heart broke'

GOOSE CREEK, SC (WCSC) -

Nancy Edwards clings to her photos of her 4-year-old Grandson Samuel Garbe.

"I was on my way to pick him up after work and bring him over here with me. But it was too late. The building blew up and I didn't know he was in it," said Edwards.

Edwards arrived to find fire trucks, ambulances and police officers blocking the entrance to the Pine Harbour apartments in Goose Creek.

"I was trying to get in there to get to him, but nobody told me he was in that building until I called my niece and they told me to go to the hospital.

Edwards said she was told her grandson didn't suffer. She said the fumes got to him before the fire consumed the building.

"My heart broke. I just broke down. I couldn't believe it just that it was a dream," said Edwards.

Edwards said her entire family is in a state of shock at the loss of Garbe and his cousin 19-year-old Morgan Abernathy, who also died in the fire. She said Garbe was a happy child who loved the outdoors, the color green and tractors. Edwards said he was just learning his numbers so he would be ready for school in the fall.

"I don't know what it's going to be like without him because I've been with him for the past five years almost every day," said Edwards.

Investigators said they found an active meth lab inside the apartment.

A memorial fund has been set up in Samuel Garbe's name at any First Federal bank. Funeral plans for the 4-year-old are still being arranged.

 

WCSC 2012 All rights reserved.

 

 

 

 

Powered by Frankly