Dash cam video released of SUV wreck following police pursuit

Eddie Raynard Clayton
Eddie Raynard Clayton

NORTH CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Authorities have released dash camera video of a police pursuit that ended with an SUV crashing into a mini van in North Charleston Saturday night.

The Charleston County Sheriff's Office says 32-year-old Eddie Raynard Clayton is currently a patient at MUSC and was charged with reckless driving and failure to stop for a blue light.

In the newly released video, a white Mountaineer SUV, driven by Clayton, can be seen driving through an intersection and crashing into a mini van.

Around 11:09 p.m. on Saturday, a K-9 unit deputy was responding to a vehicle pursuit that ended in a foot pursuit in the West Ashley area.

As the deputy was entering I-526 westbound near Montague avenue, he said he spotted Clayton's vehicle, a white Mountaineer SUV, traveling at a high rate of speed. According to authorities, Clayton was driving at speeds that reached 110 mph.

The deputy said he made the decision to pursue the vehicle since the incident may involve a DUI.

An incident report states that during the pursuit, Clayton disregarded a traffic signal on Dorchester Road and I-526 and struck a mini van in the rear passenger door, pushing the van into the grass.

Clayton's vehicle rolled several times and landed on its side.

When the deputy got out of his vehicle, he said he could hear the suspect kicking the windshield in an attempt to get out. The deputy pulled out his gun and told the suspect to stay still, but the suspect continued kicking the windshield in an attempt to leave the vehicle.

The deputy then told the suspect that he had a K-9 on hand if he decided to take off. The suspect then came out of the vehicle through an open sunroof and followed commands to get on the ground.

The deputy then helped Clayton across the roadway after someone yelled that the SUV was on fire and about to explode. The vehicle then caught fire and minutes later was engulfed in flames.

The deputy said after he gave the suspect his Miranda rights, Clayton said that he didn't see the deputy, had his music loud and was driving fast. The suspect then passed out. EMS transported him to MUSC where he remains.

The driver of the mini van was transported to the hospital, treated and released.

The South Carolina Highway Patrol also charged Clayton with no driver's license and other traffic charges. The investigation is continuing.

Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.