CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Officials at Roper Saint Francis say doctors are currently treating a patient with flesh-eating bacteria.
Hospital officials on Friday said an adult male was admitted to the hospital for the bacteria making him the third case in South Carolina this year.
In early May, a mother in the Upstate contracted the bacteria after her twins were born. Lana Kuykendall underwent 20 surgical procedures to stop the spread of the bacteria. Her treatment required aggressive surgical intervention, but no amputations.
Earlier this year, doctors at MUSC helped save the life of a 59-year-old Hilton Head man who contracted the rare strain of bacteria. Barry Ginn was taken to MUSC where doctors found the bacteria in his collarbone and left shoulder.
A Georgia woman recently made national news when she contracted the bacteria after a zip line she was using broke, cutting her leg and sending her into a Georgia river. In an effort to save her life, doctors amputated one of her legs.
Stay with www.Live5News.com for more information.