CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Sixteen people in Charleston who are illegally living in the U.S. have been indicted for attempting to illegally obtain driver's licenses.
According to federal indictments, a total of 30 defendants traveled from South Carolina and surrounding areas to New Mexico to apply for a New Mexico driver's license. New Mexico does not require citizens to show proof of U.S. citizenship to obtain a license, unlike South Carolina.
The indictments also say that the defendants provided false information to the New Mexico Motor Vehicle Department. They used bogus utility bills and similar items in an attempt to prove New Mexico residency.
United States Attorney Bill Nettles said the defendants would then return to South Carolina and wait for co-defendants living in New Mexico to mail them their new driver's licenses.
The Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department were all involved in the investigation.
Below is a list of those mentioned in the federal indictments alleging involvement:
- Alma Rosa Ortiz-Calzada, 54, of Charleston, SC
- Jesus Ortiz, age 29, of Charleston, SC
- Concepcion Prieto-Juarez, age 29, of Charleston, SC
- Alejandra Torricos-Cuellar, age 20, of Charleston, SC
- Juan Pablo Valladares-Martinez, age 31, of Charleston, SC
- Gustavo Torricos-Vargas, age 41, of Charleston, SC
- Gabriel Sotelo, age 42, of North Charleston, SC
- Darco Jordan-Tapia, age 32, of Charleston, SC
- Marisol Pantoja-Loredo, age 23, of Charleston, SC
- Marcos Medina-Zavaleta, age 23, of Hanahan, SC
- Jose Alvarez-Robles, age 30, of Ladson, SC
- Jorge Alvarez-Chavez, age 32, of North Charleston, SC
- Luis Alvarez-Robles, age 22, of North Charleston, SC
- Salvador Hernandez-Santillan, age 36, of Summerville, SC
- Fabian Sanchez-Hernandez, age 32, of Mt. Pleasant, SC.
- Horacio Jasso-Hernandez, age 35, of Mt. Pleasant, SC.
- Ivon Baray-Luna, age 31, of Albuquerque, NM
- Alfred Padilla, age 47, of Albuquerque, NM
- Victor Alvarez, age 25, of Albuquerque, NM
- Elizabeth Lopez, age 42, of Albuquerque, NM
- Alfredo Saenz, age 39, of Rio Rancho, NM
- Bulmaro Perez-Perez, age 35, of Doraville, GA
- Roberto Trejo-Lopez, age 22, of Chantilly, VA
- Arturo Trejo-Lopez, age 18, of Chantilly, VA
- Ruben Trejo-Lopez, age 24, of Centreville, VA
- Jesus Octaviano-Leyva, age 40, of Charlotte, NC
- Gonzalo Garcia-Gines, age 29, of Knoxville, TN
- Jose Luis Hernandez-Delgado, age 28, of Knoxville, TN
- Yusimy Valdez and GABY LNU, both with unknown ages and residences.