CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - The last defendant in a downtown Charleston gang case pled guilty in federal court on Wednesday, officials say.
United States Attorney Bill Nettles said the case ultimately involved a 45-count indictment alleging 15 members of the "East Side Posse" conspired to distribute over a kilogram of heroin as well as more than 280 grams of crack cocaine, in addition to marijuana.
Nettles said the gang members used various places on the east side of Charleston, including residences or stores located in neighborhoods, to either manufacture or distribute drugs.
Investigators say the "ESP" gang operated in downtown Charleston in a neighborhood near a Meeting Street fast food restaurant. Nettles said the territory included Duc's Court, Line Street, Sheppard Street, Hanover Street, and Columbus Street.
Nettles said a joint federal, state, and local law enforcement team made a series of purchases of heroin and crack which targeted street-level dealers in an eight-block area.
Investigators said many of the gang members grew up together and began selling drugs in the Johnson Street area as early as the late 90s.
The gang members who pled guilty are:
- Calvin Levar Dixon, a/k/a "Booga" a/k/a Calvin Dion
- Michael Angelo Hayes, a/k/a "Little Mike", a/k/a "Mikey", a/k/a Ricky Lamont Hayes
- Arnold Terrell Bellinger, a/k/a "A-1"
- Jamile Raynod Harley, a/k/a "Miles", a/k/a "Mile", a/k/a "Tall Mile"
- George Avery Bellinger, a/k/a "Lil George", a/k/a "Lil G", a/k/a "G"
- Kevin Lemort Coaxum, a/k/a "Blizz"
- Iman Gantt, a/k/a "I", a/k/a Imam Gantt, a/k/a Imen Gantt
- Kadrin Christopher Simmons, a/k/a "Little Black"
- Laquell Takeem Dixon, a/k/a "Quelly", a/k/a "Q-Nuts", a/k/a "Q"
- Kenneth Bernard Brown, a/k/a "Numsey"
- Shabazz Romell Wise, a/k/a "Little Bazz"
- Montrell Sharife Wise, a/k/a "Trell"
- Tony Brown
- Walter Demeatrus Brown, a/k/a "Cook-a-Rooka"
- Charles Fabers, a/k/a Charles Fabers, Jr., a/k/a Junior Fabers, a/k/a Charles Fabes, a/k/a Charles Favors