Police: Drunk man impersonating cop attacks police officer

Kenny Richard Boyke Jr.
Kenny Richard Boyke Jr.

BERKELEY COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - The Hanahan Police Department has arrested a 23-year-old Goose Creek man accused of impersonating a cop and attacking a police officer following an arrest for DUI.

Investigators charged Kenny Richard Boyke Jr. with driving under the influence second offense, open container of beer, resisting arrest, impersonating a law enforcement officer and assault on a police officer while resisting arrest.

It all started Saturday night when police responded to the intersection of Creekstone Way at Tanner Ford Boulevard in reference to a single vehicle collision involving a Ford truck.

Police say the truck driver, Boyke, was sitting in the grass with a red cup containing a small amount of beer. Boyke told the officer that he just left LG's by the Creek on Tanner Ford Boulevard and was driving on the road when a raccoon ran out in front of his vehicle.

Boyke said that he stepped on the brakes, left the roadway and struck a tree. Police say they found no evidence on the roadway that Boyke had stepped on his brakes.

While speaking with Boyke, the officer said he detected a strong odor of alcohol coming from him. The officer reported that Boyke's eyes were watery and bloodshot, was unsteady on his feet and his speech was slurred.

Boyke told the officer that he was adamant that he had not been drinking.

Boyke said he was a police officer working for the Goose Creek Police Department and he was currently in training at the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy for his certification training.

A police report states that some time later, Boyke told officers that he was not a police officer which was also confirmed through the Goose Creek Police Department.  After conducting sobriety tests on Boyke, the officer determined that Boyke was under the influence of alcohol and was unable to operate a motor vehicle safely.

Authorities say the officer directed Boyke three times to walk to the patrol car, but Boyke refused.

According to police, Boyke pulled away from another officer, charged the responding officer and struck him in the left kidney area pushing the officer into the rear panel of the patrol vehicle.

Police say following a short struggle, officers were able to secure Boyke in the back seat of the police car. A police report states that Boyke then moved his handcuffs from behind his back to in front of him.

Officers then resecured Boyke's hands and secured his legs with leg irons.

Investigators say that Boyke refused to leave the back seat of the car after arriving at the Hanahan Police Department. While in the booking room, officers say that Boyke became actively aggressive, resisted again and demanded to be taken to a hospital because of his injuries.

When officers transported Boyke to the hospital, police say Boyke threw himself on the floor in the middle of the emergency room and refused to get up, but demanded treatment.

The officer said that he grabbed Boyke by his right arm and escorted him to a room. The officer then requested a blood sample from Boyke to which he refused.

Following a CT scan, Boyke was cleared and transported back to the Hanahan Police Department for processing.

Boyke was then locked up at the Hill Finklea Detention Center.

Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.