Quantcast

Official: Cigarette caused fire at Francis Marion Hotel - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Official: Cigarette caused fire at Francis Marion Hotel

Posted: Updated:
People look on as fire crews work to put out the fire.  (Source: Tyler Boone) People look on as fire crews work to put out the fire. (Source: Tyler Boone)
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Firefighters shut down a busy downtown intersection Tuesday to put out a small fire located underneath a balcony at the Francis Marion Hotel.

Charleston Fire Department spokesman Mark Ruppel said the fire appeared to be cause by a discarded cigarette.

Traffic was blocked at Calhoun and King streets from about 4:30 to 5:15 p.m. Tuesday as firefighters cleared the area.

The building was evacuated as a precaution.  No one was injured.

Copyright 2012 WCSC.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow