Lawsuit filed against college in student's choking death

SPARTANBURG, SC (WCSC) - A Lowcountry family is suing an Upstate college after their son died from choking on pizza.

A wrongful death lawsuit was filed late last week in Spartanburg County. Randall Heffron Jr. died a year ago this month at Wofford College.

The Spartanburg County Coroner's Office says 20-year-old Heffron died as a result of choking.

Coroner officials say Heffron had an elevated ethanol level that may have contributed to vomiting which led to extensive aspiration of food.

Family members said in October of 2011 that Heffron was eating pizza with friends in the dorm and started choking. He went to the bathroom, but when he didn't return his friends went to the bathroom and found him unresponsive.

Heffron was a 2010 graduate of Bishop England High School where he was a star player on the tennis team.

Copyright 2012 WCSC. All rights reserved.