WEST ASHLEY, SC (WCSC) - A court hearing for a 22-year-old man accused of kidnapping and raping a woman in West Ashley has been postponed after the man apparently suffered a seizure while he was entering his guilty plea Thursday morning.
Marion Lamont Brown Jr. was entering his plea when he was overtaken by a seizure. Brown's attorney said he has seen Brown suffer from seizures before.
Solicitor Scarlett Wilson said she hopes Brown's hearing will be rescheduled in a matter of days or weeks.
Last year, Brown's father said Brown had a history of medical problems and is on several medications.
Before having the Grand Mal seizure Thursday, which Brown told the judge he suffers from periodically, he was entering a guilty plea on charges of kidnapping, criminal sexual conduct first degree and grand larceny. Prosecutor Scarlett Wilson told the courtroom the maximum sentence for the three charges combined is 70 years.
However, at the hearing, Brown was entering a guilty plea for a negotiated sentence.
If the hearing had concluded and the judge accepted the plea deal, Brown would have received a 30 year sentence. Since the defendant had a seizure, the hearing and plea will have to carry over to another date.
In the courtroom, Solicitor Wilson also told the judge that Brown was also actively serving time for crimes he committed in the state of Georgia.
According to Wilson, Brown received a negotiated sentence of 12 years for kidnapping, aggravated assault, burglary and criminal intent to comment a felony in 2011. While Brown was out on bail for the Georgia charges, Wilson says he traveled to South Carolina and committed the crimes he was in court for Thursday.
In May of 2011, Authorities say Brown carjacked and sexually assaulted a woman in West Ashley. The Charleston County Sheriff's Office says that witnesses identified Brown in a photo line-up and that a DNA test was a factor in Brown's arrest.
According to the sheriff's office, the incident happened in the parking lot of West Ashley Primary Care, located on Ashley Crossing Drive.
The victim told authorities that a black male forced his way into her car and made her drive to an abandoned house on Sunnyvale Avenue, where he forced her to remove her clothing before sexually assaulting her.
After the rape, investigators say Brown threw the woman's clothes over a fence and left her naked behind the home.
During a bond hearing in June, a close friend of the victim, who is an attorney, read a statement from her to the judge. Brian Burke said her life, career and marriage had been severely emotionally affected.
"The memory of this horrific event will be carried with me for the rest of my life," Burke read from the victim's statement. "Never in a million years did I think something like this would ever happen to me, let alone happen in the middle of the day while I was working," the statement also read.
In that same bond hearing, a detective with the sheriff's office told the judge that Brown told her that if they let him out, he would flee to Georgia.
Brown's criminal history shows that he's been previously convicted of several crimes, including assault and battery with intent to kill back in 2006.
Brown has been behind bars since June 8, 2011. A date for the continuation of his plea hearing has not yet been set.