MT. PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) - Mt. Pleasant motorists will need to make plans to avoid a stretch of Highway 17 later this week lanes will be shut down due to construction.
Hwy. 17 at the intersection of Hungryneck and I-526 to Georgetown will be closed the nights of October 18-20 as crews work on the new bridge. This closure will include both the northbound and southbound lanes.
Below is the schedule of lane closures:
- Thursday, October 18 full closure of Hwy. 17 at Hungryneck Boulevard begins at 11:30 pm and lasts until 5:00 am on Friday morning.
- Friday, October 19th full closure of Hwy. 17 at Hungryneck Boulevard begins at 10:30 pm and continues until 7:30 am on Saturday.
- Saturday, October 20th full closure of Hwy. 17 at Hungryneck Boulevard begins at 10:30 pm until 9:00 am on Sunday
The following detour routes are being suggested by town officials:
- Highway 17 north bound traffic (heading to Awendaw) can follow detour signs to Bowman Road, just before the new Johnnie Dodds/Bowman Road overpass, take a left onto Bowman Road, continue onto Mathis Ferry Road, and follow Mathis Ferry Road north to US 17. Should Highway 17 northbound traffic either miss the Bowman road exit before the new overpass or want to use Rifle Range Road, there is also a signed detour turning right from US 17 at the Wando Crossing shopping center (just after the Chuck Dawley (I-526) Overpass), then right onto Stuart Engals Boulevard, left onto Bowman Road, and left onto Rifle Range Road to US 17.
- Highway 17 south bound traffic (heading towards Charleston) shall follow detour signs right onto Mathis Ferry Road.
- Hungryneck Boulevard traffic is being rerouted to and from US 17 via Venning Road.
The scheduled construction times are subject to change in the event of incliment weather.