COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - Firefighters say quick action by a homeowner's son saved a family's Colleton County home over the weekend.
Colleton County Fire & Rescue crews said they responded to 355 Rentz Drive, outside Walterboro, on Saturday around 2:30 p.m. to find most of the threat was already taken care of.
Firefighters said the family was at home when they heard crackling noises from the utility room and began smelling smoke. When they walked into the room they found flames coming from the ceiling of the car port and a utility room.
Family members said the fire spread from the utility room to an attic and was heading towards the rest of the home, but a son at home grabbed a fire extinguisher and went after the car port's ceiling and then in the utility room.
Firefighters said he successfully knocked down most of the fire, so that when they arrived, they only needed to remove burned materials and cool down the surrounding walls and roof.
Fire crews also said the fire melted water lines to the hot water heater, allowing spray to help contain the fire.
No one was injured during the incident, but the utility room suffered moderate damage and all electrical lines from the breaker box were burned.