Quantcast

Officials: Gas heater flashed, set man's clothes on fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Officials: Gas heater flashed, set man's clothes on fire

Posted: Updated:
COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) -

Authorities say a man was taken to the hospital Friday after a gas heater flashed and set his clothes on fire in Colleton County.

According to Colleton County Fire & Rescue officials, a gas heater flashed after a resident was trying to light the device in a residence at 8947 Augusta Highway, in the Springtown community, just before 10 a.m. Friday.

Rescue officials said a man's clothes caught fire during the flash, and other occupants inside the home used a dry powder fire extinguisher to put the flames out. The victim was taken to Colleton Medical Center to be treated for burns to his face and other parts of his body.

Several pieces of furniture and a closet also caught fire during the flash, and flames also spread to that attic before fire crews extinguished them.

Two other occupants inside the home suffered minor burns, but denied ambulance transportation to the hospital, officials said.

Outside of the furniture, the closet, and part of the attic, the home only suffered light smoke damage, officials said.

Copyright 2012 WCSC.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow