INDIAN TRAIL, N.C. (AP) - A 7-month-old dog rescued from a South Carolina animal shelter has rescued his new North Carolina owners from a fire.
Officials say the 68-pound boxer-mastiff mix named Tank woke up his new owners at their home in Union County on Sunday morning to alert them to a fire in the laundry room.
Russell and Krystal Ewing made it out of their home in Indian Trail without injury.
Hemby Bridge assistant fire chief Chris Yates says the fire was confined to the laundry room, which has the washer-dryer, furnace and water heater.
The couple had adopted Tank from the York County, S.C., Animal Shelter just days before he would have been euthanized.
Russell Ewing says the couple has insurance. But they are most thankful for the dog that saved their lives.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.