MT. PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) - Motorists should expect to navigate through lane and ramp closures and traffic shifts, and encounter temporary delays as crews finalize construction activities and punch-list items for the Johnnie Dodds Boulevard Improvements Project in Mount Pleasant.
All construction areas will be marked with construction cones and signs. To reduce impact on travelers over the Christmas holiday, lane closures will not occur from 6 a.m. on Friday, Dec. 21, to 6 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 2.
Construction crews will work through the end of January 2013 to complete the work.
- The traffic shifts will occur from 7 a.m. – 4 p.m., and will affect drivers in both directions on Bowman Road, from Marsh Court Lane (at McDonald's restaurant) to West Frontage Road (at former East Cooper Hospital).
- The shifts are necessary to install curb and gutter, sidewalks, asphalt and conduct other construction activities.
- All construction areas and traffic shifts will be marked with construction cones and signs.
- All work is dependent on the weather.
- The following Bowman Road ramps will be closed nightly from 9 p.m. – 6 a.m. (note: only one ramp will be closed at any given time):
- During the nightly ramp closures, all traffic will be detoured to either East Frontage Road or West Frontage Road.
- All construction areas and detours will be marked with construction cones and signs.
- The ramp closures are necessary so crews can work on the interchange.
Drivers traveling through the project's construction zone are asked to be aware of equipment and crews working in the area at all times. Drivers are encouraged to go slow and allow additional time to reach their destinations safely.
Alternative routes are recommended if possible. The public is also asked to notice traffic control signs, reductions in speed limit and message board information, and to note that all road work is dependent on the weather.