CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Three people who used to work for the nonprofit organization, People Against Rape, have filed lawsuits stating the organization did not pay them after they were laid off.
All three former employees state that PAR officials told them on Sept. 1 that they had no choice but to lay them off.
According to PAR officials, the organization had to lay off a number of employees after grant money had been suspended following the discovery of "up to $80,000" in funds missing from their budget.
"On one hand, it could be gross negligence and the other it could be down right stealing; we're leaning towards the latter," said Mike Roach, Board Chairman of PAR in September.
According to the suits filed on Nov. 19 and Nov. 29, all three former employees state they have "suffered sever emotional distress over having" lost their jobs and not being able to pay bills.
One of the plaintiffs state that they are "unable to properly care for her elderly grandmother" and lost her health insurance.
The suits state that dating back to 2010, PAR was contacted by the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control that their organization had a "serious lack of financial controls."
The suit alleges that the members of the organization "were fully aware of the financial trouble and dangers that they were facing and failed to take the necessary steps to prevent fraudulent activity."
In September, organization officials announced that they learned a former employee had submitted inaccurate and fraudulent requests for payment on several Department of Public Safety grants.
At the time, Roach said the the former employee, who worked as a book keeper, did not pay rent and withheld taxes to the Department of Public Safety.
Roach is expected to release a statement regarding the lawsuits some time today.