Quantcast

Family left homeless, without dog after house fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Family left homeless, without dog after house fire

Posted: Updated:
Flames rip through the home. Flames rip through the home.
Firefighters enter. Firefighters enter.
Another shot. Another shot.
WALTERBORO, SC (WCSC) -

A family of three was left homeless and without their family dog after a house fire outside Walterboro Thursday.

According to Chief Barry McRoy with Colleton Fire and Rescue, crews responded to the home at 2738 Black Creek Road around 4:30 a.m. to find the house "75%" involved. A large amount of smoke and flames were visible.

McRoy said the family's Labrador did not survive the fire, and was buried by firefighters in the family's back yard.

Two of the three family members were taken to the hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation.

The home suffered extensive damage and was almost completely gutted.

Officials say a family member found the fire in the kitchen after being awakened by the smell of smoke.

Red Cross volunteers arrived with funds to replace to food, clothing, in addition to toys, comfort kits and referrals to Red Cross partner agencies.

Members of our community can support local victims of disasters similar to this and enable the Red Cross to assist families like this who are impacted by residential fires by contacting the American Red Cross at 843-764-2323 ext. 368 or by going to www.LowcountryRedCross.org.

Copyright 2012 WCSC.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow