Bond set at $250k for man accused of burning toddler in tub

Reginald Taylor (Source: CCDC)
Reginald Taylor (Source: CCDC)

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Bond was set at $250,000 for a Charleston man accused of burning his girlfriend's toddler with scalding hot water last December.

Charleston police spokesman Charles Francis said officers arrested 26-year-old Reginald Taylor on Wednesday and charged him with allowing infliction of great bodily injury to a child.

The arrest comes a little over a month after an investigation into 2nd-degree burns suffered by a two-and-a-half-year-old boy on Dec. 1, 2012.

A police report states officers responded to the Medical University of South Carolina on Dec. 2 after receiving reports of a child being abused at an apartment on upper King Street near Hampton Park.

When they arrived, MUSC officials said Taylor and his girlfriend brought her toddler to the hospital the day before around 3 p.m. for treatment of burns caused by scalding hot water.

MUSC officials said it was originally reported that Taylor was washing the victim in the bathtub when he had to temporarily step out of the room. When Taylor returned, he discovered the child was standing in scalding hot water, the report states.

However, during the course of the investigation, the report states conflicting stories were given by the toddler's mother and Taylor as to how the burns were caused and who was in the home at the time of the incident.

Furthermore, MUSC officials noted Taylor and his girlfriend did not call 911 from the King Street residence.

Additionally, a MUSC doctor and a child abuse director told police they thought the child was intentionally abused. The report states physicians noted the burn pattern of the victim was consistent with abuse, as it appeared the boy was held down by force in the scalding hot water.

Doctors said the boy suffered severe injuries to his feet, buttocks, and genital regions.

The victim was turned over to the Department of Social Services, who placed the child in the custody of his grandmother, the report states.

The report also noted the child's mother failed to show up at the police department for a follow-up interview with investigators.

Taylor is being held in the Charleston County Detention Center.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.