2 more teens charged in Johns Island home invasion

Grandmother held at gunpoint in Johns Island home
Maxwell, Bailey, Green, and Heyward (Source: CCDC)
Maxwell, Bailey, Green, and Heyward (Source: CCDC)

JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - Authorities have arrested two teens in connection with a Johns Island home invasion where a grandmother was held at gunpoint last October.

Major Jim Brady with the Charleston County Sheriff's Office said officers arrested 19-year-old DeAngelo Green last Wednesday and 19-year-old Anthony Heyward last Thursday.

Investigators say Green drove Heyward, 28-year-old Lataj Maxwell, and 18-year-old Jarell Bailey to a home on Mary Ann Point Road on Oct. 20, where the latter three held a 60-year-old woman at gunpoint while her 6-year-old grandson slept on the floor.

Maxwell, who is from Wadmalaw Island, and Bailey, a Johns Island native, were arrested during a traffic stop on the night of the incident.  Green and Heyward are also from Johns Island.

All four suspects are charged with first-degree burglary, kidnapping, armed robbery, and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent crime.

Green was granted a $350,000 bond last week, while Heyward received a $300,000 bond.

Back in October, the homeowner told Live 5 News' Lisa Weismann the suspects stole a necklace and ring stolen during a scary situation.

She said she was watching TV when three masked men barged into her house.

"He came around and put the gun to my head and said, 'I want all the money and your cards.' I said, 'I don't have any money here'," she said.

Sabrina's six-year-old grandson was on the floor sleeping at the time, while the men ransacked the home.

"He slept through the whole thing because they were being real quiet, but when they started shooting is when [he] woke up," she said.

One of the men fired at least three rounds inside the home, hitting the walls and ceiling.

Sabrina said one of the scariest parts of the 20-minute ordeal was when her daughter and son returned home and interrupted the crime.

"My daughter walked in real quick to go to the restroom, and I'm like, 'Get out, get out!' She looked at me like, 'What's going on, Momma?' And then she saw the guy with the gun," Sabrina said.

Pointing to bruises on her arm, Sabrina said her son grabbed her and tried to shield her body.

"Sometimes you wonder if your kids really love you or not, and that right there showed me my kids love me unconditionally," Sabrina said.

That's when the men fled the scene, leaving Sabrina and her family unhurt – but shaken.

"The next day is really when I felt it - just how close to death we all were," she said.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.