Firefighters return to E. Bay St. home to put out smoldering debris

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Firefighters had to return to a home on East Bay Street Thursday after smoldering debris from an earlier fire caused smoke to come from the attic.

Charleston Fire Department Battalion Chief Mike Julazadeh said crews responded to the fire at 617 East Bay Street, near Reid Street, around 6:30 a.m. Julazadeh said it appears the fire started in the bathroom after a ceiling exhaust fan malfunctioned.

A few hours later, they had to return after someone reported smoke coming from the attic.  Firefighters arrived to find the cause was from smoldering debris that was still hot.

One family was displaced and the Charleston Housing Authority and the Red Cross were notified.

Traffic was blocked in the area on both occasions while crews took care of the fire.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.