MT. PLEASANT, SC (WCSC) - A Hwy 17 intersection in Mt. Pleasant will undergo nighttime lane closures this weekend as crews work to paint girders for a bridge over the intersection.
The intersection of Hwy. 17, I-526 exit 29, and Hungry neck Boulevard will be closed from 10:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 1 until 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 2. The intersection will again be closed Saturday night at 10:30 p.m. till 9 a.m. on Sunday.
The closures will deter all traffic around the Hwy. 17 intersection.
In the event of bad weather, the painting will be moved to a following night.
The following detour routes are recommended:
- Highway 17 north bound traffic (heading to Awendaw) can follow detour signs to Bowman Road, just before the new Johnnie Dodds/Bowman Road overpass, take a left onto Bowman Road, continue onto Mathis Ferry Road, and follow Mathis Ferry Road north to US 17. Should Highway 17 northbound traffic either miss the Bowman road exit before the new overpass or want to use Rifle Range Road, there is also a signed detour turning right from US 17 at the Wando Crossing shopping center (just after the Chuck Dawley (I-526) Overpass), then right onto Stuart Engals Boulevard, left onto Bowman Road, and left onto Rifle Range Road to US 17.
- Highway 17 south bound traffic (heading towards Charleston) shall follow detour signs right onto Mathis Ferry Road.
- Hungryneck Boulevard traffic is being rerouted to and from US 17 via Venning Road.
- I-526 Exit 29 Traffic from I-526 to US 17 N (Georgetown) is being rerouted to Long Point Road or US 17 to Bowman Road.
- Northbound US 17 Traffic to I-526 Westbound can use the US 17/I-526 Interchange.
- Southbound US 17 Traffic to I-526 Westbound is being routed to use the Long Point Road/ I-526 Interchange.