Horgan Leads Bulldogs to Second Half Comeback Win Over Furman, 8 - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Horgan Leads Bulldogs to Second Half Comeback Win Over Furman, 84-79


P.J Horgan scored a career-high 23 points, netting 17 in the second half, as The Citadel completed the second biggest second half comeback in school history in an 84-79 victory at Furman on Saturday afternoon. The Cadets mounted the rally behind 60 points in the second half, the third-most against a Southern Conference opponent in history.

Horgan, who finished 9-of-13 from the field and 5-of-6 from the free throw line, energized a Citadel lineup that had five players reach double figures including Mike Groselle (19), Ashton Moore (14), Matt Van Scyoc (13) and Marshall Harris III (11). It marks the first time that The Citadel has had five players post double digits since Charleston Southern on Dec. 4, 2012.

Harris dished out a team-high seven assists, which gives him seven or more in his last three games. The Bulldogs finished with 21 team assists, second-most this season behind 31 against Union.

The Citadel (6-15, 3-8 SoCon) shot 30-of-53 (56.6%) from the field in the game and hit an incendiary 74.1 percent (20-27) in the second half. Horgan converted 6-of-6 from the floor and 5-of-6 from the charity stripe in the second frame. Groselle also completed a dominating second half performance by including hitting 5-of-6 from the floor and dishing out four assists.

Furman (6-14, 3-6) was led by offensively by the trio of Charlie Reddick (26 points), Colin Reddick (21) and Stephen Croone (12). Charlie Reddick led all scorers after hitting 10-of-16 from the floor and 4-of-8 from beyond the arc. Brother Colin Reddick was highly efficient in the post, converting 9-of-13 in the paint. The Reddick's mirrored each other in rebounds, grabbing eight total boards and three on the offensive glass, as Furman finished with a 39-22 edge in total rebounds.

Leading 40-24 at the intermission, Colin Reddick hit a jumper 19 seconds into the second half to push the Paladin lead to 18 points.

Moore put The Citadel on the board with a 3-pointer and following a steal and breakaway dunk by Van Scyoc in transition the Furman lead stood at 42-29 at the 18:55 mark.

Behind four points from Charlie Reddick, Furman outscored The Citadel 11-7 over a 3:16 stretch to establish a 53-36 lead.

Horgan began to find his touch, drawing a foul from Bryant Irwin while spinning in the lane for the layup. After completing the old-fashioned three point play with a free throw, Horgan hit a jumper from 18-feet to narrow the margin to 12 with 14:26 remaining.

Just over a minute later, with Furman leading 56-41, Van Scyoc hit a jumper from the left elbow to draw the Dogs with 13. A turnover by Charlie Reddick opened the door for a Moore 3-pointer in transition that allowed The Citadel to pull within 10 points for the first time since the 7:55 mark of the first half.

After back-to-back layups by Groselle and Horgan trimmed the margin to six, Van Scyoc drew a foul from Charlie Reddick while in the process of shooting a 3-pointer. The freshman hit all three free throws and pulled The Citadel to within 56-53 of the lead.

Charlie and Colin Reddick combined for Furman's next seven points as the Paladins stretched the lead back to 63-56 with just over eight minutes remaining.

However, unwilling to fold, The Citadel used a pair of 3-pointers by Van Scyoc and Harris to make for a 65-64 Furman lead with 6:43 left on the clock.

Just over two minutes later, trailing by two following a free throw by Colin Reddick, Harris found Groselle for an up-and-under layup that deadlocked the contest at 70-70.

The Bulldogs grabbed just their third lead of the game, 72-70, after a pair of clutch Horgan free throws. Moore and Groselle added to the lead with a series of jumpers as The Citadel eventually moved in front 76-70.

Charlie Reddick ended the Furman scoring drought with a series of free throws, but it was four points down the stretch by Harris and Dylen Setzekorn that helped The Citadel complete the 84-79 victory. The win gives the Bulldogs their first against Wofford and Furman in the same season since the 2005-06 season.

Charlie Reddick and Colin Reddick shared scoring honors at the half for the Paladins, netting 10 points apiece. Colin Reddick capped off the first half by hitting 5-of-6 from the floor. Meanwhile, Charlie Reddick converted 4-of-6 from the field and knocked down a pair of 3-pointers. Croone was responsible for eight Furman points and grabbed a team-high five rebounds.

The Paladins capped off the first half by hitting 17-of-34 (50%) from the floor, nailing four from beyond the arc. Furman held a slight 16-14 edge in the paint and took advantage of seven Citadel miscues to cap off the frame with a 7-2 advantage in points off turnovers.

Groselle ended the first half with seven points for The Citadel, hitting 3-of-7 from the floor, to go along with six rebounds (four defensive). Joining Groselle in scoring were Moore and Horgan, who scored six points apiece.

The Citadel headed into the intermission shooting 38.5 percent (10-26) from the field and 50 percent (2-4) from the charity stripe. The Bulldogs took advantage of six offensive rebounds to finish with a 7-6 advantage in second chance points.

After three ties over the first 11:58 of the contest, Croone buried a jumper and sparked an 11-1 run over the next 4:57, allowing allowed Furman to move in front 26-14. 

Moore ended the scoring drought for the Bulldogs, converting his second trey of the half, trimming the score back to single digits, 26-17, at the 6:19 mark.

However, Furman bookended a 12-7 run with 3-pointers by David Brown and Larry Wideman to send the two teams into the intermission with a 40-24 lead.

The Citadel remains on the road for the next two games as the Bulldogs head to Chattanooga (Feb. 7) and Samford (Feb. 9).

Powered by Frankly