SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCSC) - Officials now say they believe the fire at Gregg Middle School was started by a student burning toilet paper.
While Dorchester District 2 officials originally said the fire started in a teacher workroom, they now say it happened in a bathroom in the 400 building of the campus.
Officials said only smoke damage was done to the building, which will stay closed until tomorrow for cleaning.
School is back in session and children who attended classes in the 400 building will be moved to another building temporarily.
All students and faculty were safely evacuated during the incident. Summerville Fire Department engines have left the scene.
Gregg Middle School is located at 500 Greenwave Boulevard.