Quantcast

Affidavit: Former city employee embezzled over $42,000 - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Affidavit: Former city employee embezzled over $42,000

Posted: Updated:
Antonio Rutledge (Source: CCDC) Antonio Rutledge (Source: CCDC)
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Police now say a former employee of the City of Charleston Building Inspection Division previously thought to have embezzled $4,000 in public funds actually embezzled over $42,000.

North Charleston native Antonio Leroy Rutledge, 30, was arrested last April after an audit showed he embezzled $4,000 from the city between Jan. 3 and Apr. 11 of 2012.

According to court documents, a more thorough audit which dates back to January 2009 shows Rutledge actually stole $42,286 in public funds.

Officials with the City of Charleston said Rutledge was employed with the city from Oct. 10, 2005 to April 25, 2012.

City officials released the following statement:

While employed with the City, Mr. Rutledge is believed to have embezzled approximately $46,000 for personal use for more than a three-year period from January 2009 to April 2012. This is an ongoing investigation. Several procedures have been put in place to ensure that this type of incident does not reoccur including tightening controls within the system and more frequent reviews of reports by management.

Court documents state Rutledge confessed to taking the scam, in which he would issue building permits and then keep the money he received for them. Furthermore, police said Rutledge never accounted for the transactions in his daily collection report.

Rutledge was booked at the Charleston County Detention Center.

The city's building inspection office is located at 75 Calhoun Street.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.

  • NEWS LocalNEWSMore>>

  • Phone call tip leads to four arrests in Charleston

    Phone call tip leads to four arrests in Charleston

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 11:36 PM EDT2014-07-23 03:36:45 GMT
    Charleston police officers are crediting a concerned citizen for four arrests on Tuesday morning.A department spokesperson said they received a tip about several men with handguns along Norman Street at around 1am.After a responding officer tried to pull over a vehicle with several males inside, the men fled on foot. Four of the men were arrested, while two were able to elude police. Two handguns were located inside the vehicle.Lamar Scott Brisbane, 20, Dontez Alonzo Wright, 25, Aldean Cordre...More >>
    Charleston police officers are crediting a concerned citizen for four arrests on Tuesday morning.A department spokesperson said they received a tip about several men with handguns along Norman Street at around 1am.After a responding officer tried to pull over a vehicle with several males inside, the men fled on foot. Four of the men were arrested, while two were able to elude police. Two handguns were located inside the vehicle.Lamar Scott Brisbane, 20, Dontez Alonzo Wright, 25, Aldean Cordre...More >>
  • US Marshals: Fugitive fatally wounded in St. George was Conn. murder suspect

    US Marshals: Fugitive fatally wounded in St. George was Conn. murder suspect

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 3:58 PM EDT2014-07-22 19:58:52 GMT
    Charleston County Sheriff's officials say a man wanted for murder died at the hospital after SLED agents shot him when he showed a weapon during a foot chase outside a St. George motel on Tuesday.More >>
    Charleston County Sheriff's officials say a man wanted for murder died at the hospital after SLED agents shot him when he showed a weapon during a foot chase outside a St. George motel on Tuesday.More >>
  • Berkeley County School Board bans parent coaches

    Berkeley County School Board bans parent coaches

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 10:23 PM EDT2014-07-23 02:23:35 GMT
    The Berkeley County School Board voted unanimously to ban parent coaches Tuesday evening. The ban keeps parents from coaching their children at both the varsity and junior-varsity levels.
    More >>
    The Berkeley County School Board voted unanimously to ban parent coaches Tuesday evening. The ban keeps parents from coaching their children at both the varsity and junior-varsity levels.

    More >>
Powered by WorldNow