Cops: Hanahan baby's mom thought eye injury was from crying

Enciso and Stilson. (Source: BCDC)
Enciso and Stilson. (Source: BCDC)

HANAHAN, SC (WCSC) - The mother of the 5-month-old boy suffering from a cracked skull and a leg fracture told investigators she thought the child's left eye was red from crying, not from a brain injury, according to police reports.

Hanahan Police Department investigation reports state investigators asked 30-year-old Rachael Felicia Enciso last week if she had noticed the baby had a red left eye, and what could have caused it.

Reports state Enciso told them she thought the injury had come from excessive crying. She cited one night in which she and the child's father, 23-year-old Derek Alan Stilson, had forgotten to turn on the baby monitor.

She said they could not hear the baby crying because the doors in the apartment were "soundproofish" so when she found him with a red eye the next day she assumed "he busted a blood vessel," according to reports.

The investigator noted the police department regularly received noise complaints from the apartment building at 5820 Murray Drive, but there was no record of noise complaints from their unit, B-7.

Enciso and Stilson were charged with unlawful conduct towards a child last week after the full extent of the child's injuries was determined by physicians. Several days earlier, Stilson was charged with inflicting great bodily harm upon a child shortly after he called EMS to take the child to Medical University of South Carolina because he "was not acting normal."

MUSC doctors say the boy suffered a skull fracture, bleeding on his brain, bleeding on his retinas, a swollen and "shifting" brain, and a spiral leg fracture. Police officials said on Tuesday that seizures the boy had been suffering from have stopped.

Doctors said they believed the leg break happened over a month ago, judging by the current status of the bone. Stilson admitted to angrily throwing the child to the floor because he could not get him to stop crying, two days before he called 911, police said.

The earliest record of the baby being hospitalized for abuse was on Nov. 25, when a physician spotted "hand-shaped" abdominal bruising. At the time, Stilson told doctors the bruise could have come from when he was holding the baby up in the air.

He also said he was sometimes rough with the child "because he is a boy."

Enciso and Stilson were booked at the Berkeley County Detention Center.  Stilson remains behind bars and Enciso has been released on bond.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.