CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - An accused serial rapist who has been in jail since last August has been tied to another sexual assault in downtown Charleston, police say.
Charleston Police Department investigators served 47-year-old Nathaniel Michael Wilson, a convicted sex offender, with a warrant for first-degree criminal sexual conduct on Tuesday at the Charleston County Detention Center.
The charge is in connection to a sexual assault which reportedly happened on Feb. 29 last year under the Interstate 26 overpass west of the Meeting and Lee streets intersection.
The victim, a 26-year-old woman, told police the suspect sexually assaulted her just before 8 p.m., according to an incident report.
It's the fifth attack Wilson, a homeless man, has been charged for.
He was first arrested last August after police said he abducted a woman outside of an upper King Street bar before taking her to Hampton Park and the Crosstown, where he fondled her. He was charged with third-degree criminal sexual conduct in that incident.
Since then, he has also been charged with assault with intent to commit rape, kidnapping, and two other rape charges in connection with other incidents that were under investigation in 2012.