Flames rip through mobile home in Colleton Co.

COLLETON COUNTY, SC (WCSC) - Authorities say a mobile home was heavily damaged in a fire north of Walterboro on Sunday night.

Colleton Fire & Rescue Chief Barry McRoy said firefighters responded to 2590 Burlington Road, off Jeffries Highway, around 7:15 p.m. to find flames engulfing roughly one third of the structure.

Firefighters knocked down most of the fire within five minutes.  Most of the fire damage was contained to one end of the building, but the remainder of the home suffered heavy heat and smoke damage.

Crews made a search of the residence through heavy smoke but there was no one at home.

The fire was determined to have started from an extension cord in a bedroom.

Emergency crews were on scene for about an hour and a half, according to McRoy.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.