Quantcast

Sprinkler system puts out downtown grease fire - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Sprinkler system puts out downtown grease fire

Posted: Updated:
CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Charleston Fire Department officials say the sprinkler system at the Palace Apartments on King Street kept a kitchen fire from spreading Thursday night.

Battalion Chief Mike Julazadeh said Charleston and North Charleston firefighters responded to the apartments in the 1000 block of King Street just before 10:30 p.m. 

The tenant told dispatchers she was cookign with grease on the stove top when she momentarily left the kitchen.  When she returned, she found fire spreading on the stove stop.  As she attempted to extinguish it with water, which caused the fire to spread further.

The expanding fire prompted sprinkler systems to activate.  Other residents evacuated the apartment.

The fire was limited to the kitchen and damage was minimal, according to Julazadeh.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow