St. John's Fire and Rescue were called out to The Sanctuary Hotel Saturday after a fire broke out in a storage room.
Authorities say the fire occurred around 12:16 p.m. at The Sanctuary Hotel located at 1 Sanctuary Beach Dr. on Kiawah Island. Firefighters arrived to find a plastic container filled with oily and greasy rags smoldering in a storage area in the basement of the hotel.
The fire was contained and extinguished after one sprinkler head in the room activated, officials say.
The hotel was evacuated while St. Johns firefighters ventilated and removed smoke from the building.
Officials say the fire appeared to have started spontaneously due to the contents of the container.