JOHNS ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - Charleston firefighters are crediting a sprinkler system with saving a Johns Island apartment building.
A fire broke out at the Sea Island Apartments at 3672 Maybank Highway late Saturday morning, forcing the evacuation of the three-story building.
A spokesman with the Charleston Fire Department says when firefighters arrived on scene, the fire had already been extinguished by the sprinkler system. He says the flames appear to have started on the stove of a third story apartment and then spread to the cabinets and microwave in that unit, before being extinguished.
"Fire sprinklers have proven themselves yet again as an invaluable tool to improve property and life safety," said Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh, adding that residents should never leave cooking unattended.