JAMES ISLAND, SC (WCSC) - A public meeting to unveil updated design plans for Harbor View Road on James Island will take place on Tuesday.
Charleston County Government will hold the public meeting from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Stiles Point Elementary School. The meeting will begin with a brief presentation at 7:30 p.m. on the Harbor View Road Improvements Project, followed by a question and answer session.
Officials will also be on hand to take comments and suggestions from the public.
Known as the Proposed Alternative, Charleston County Council approved the updated design in January 2013 after plan modifications were requested by the South Carolina Department of Transportation.
The proposed alternative features the following design modifications:
- A roundabout at the intersection of Harbor View Road and Fort Johnson Road
- Traffic Signals at the intersections of Harbor View Road at Fort Sumter Drive and Harbor View Road at Mikell Drive.
- A 5-foot wide sidewalk on both sides of Harbor View Road
- Crosswalks stripped across Harbor View Road at locations recommended by the public.
- A speed study to determine the need for a possible speed limit reduction from 40 to 35 mph.
The purpose of the project is to improve traffic flow and safety on Harbor View Road. The design will also include adequate bicycle and pedestrian facilities.
According to a release, the design will also include center two-way left-turn lanes and right turn lanes at major intersections along the 2.1-mile stretch of Harbor View Road between North Shore Drive and For Johnson Road.