Cops: 1 hospitalized in N. Charleston house fire

North Charleston police say one person was taken to the hospital Friday morning following a house fire on Barnwell Avenue.

Firefighters from North Charleston and St. John's Fire Departments were called out to the 4200 block of Barnwell Ave. at 9:30 a.m. on Friday.

Officials say they arrived to find smoke coming from a single-wide mobile home. It took crews five minutes to put out the fire.

A resident in the home was taken to MUSC, officials say.

According to a release, the fire began on the stovetop while the resident was cooking, and spread through the kitchen. Smoke damage was reported throughout the home.

Copyright 2013 WCSC.  All rights reserved