CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Some businesses and organizations around Charleston are taking extra precautions as Tropical Storm Andrea approaches the Lowcountry.
Live 5 Meteorologist Chad Watson says the heaviest impacts from the system will occur approximately between 9 p.m. Thursday and 6 a.m. Friday. Andrea's core will arrive just west of Charleston by 8 a.m. Friday, bringing 30 to 45-mile-per-hour wind gusts and three to five inches of rain, with six to eight inches falling in some areas, and as much as ten inches in other places, particularly inland.
Mayor Joe Riley announced Thursday afternoon city employees will not have to be at work Friday until 10 a.m.
To prepare for the rough weather ahead, the following businesses and organizations are making adjustments:
Beaufort County School District -
- Friday's half-day schedule will be made up on Monday using a "weather make-up day" built into the district's 2012-13 calendar for such a purpose, said Acting Superintendent Jackie Rosswurm. State law requires 180 days of instruction, and Friday was to have been the 180th day of the district's school year.
- Monday's half-day schedule will begin at each school's regular start time, and buses will run on their normal schedules. Middle and high schools will dismiss at 11:30 a.m., and elementary schools will dismiss at 12:30.
- About a half-dozen schools had promotion ceremonies scheduled for Friday that will now be held on Monday, and Rosswurm said that teachers would need the final day of school to finalize their records with students.
- Beaufort High School's 7 p.m. Thursday graduation ceremonies will go on as scheduled, although they will be moved indoors.
- Whale Branch Early College High School's graduation exercises will be held at 7 p.m. Friday as originally scheduled because meteorologists forecast that Tropical Storm Andrea will have moved through the area by midday Friday, Rosswurm said. The ceremonies will be moved indoors, however.
- All Beaufort County public pools will open at 9 a.m. Friday
Charleston International Airport - All airline passengers scheduled to depart from the airport Friday morning are encouraged to call and check with their airline prior to arriving.
Charleston County Main Library and John L. Dart Branch Library, downtown - Will not open until noon Friday due to possible flooding.
Party at the Point - Friday night's event has been postponed. Stop Light Observation and Fowler's Mustache has been rescheduled for July 5.
Limestone College, Yemassee - Thursday evening classes canceled.
Virginia College of Charleston - College will close at 3:30 p.m. Thursday and will reopen at 10 a.m. Friday. Night classes are canceled and 8 a.m. classes will move to 10 a.m.
Charleston Animal Society - Closing Thursday at 3 p.m.
Citizen's Advisory Group Team 1 (Upper Peninsula) - Thursday night's meeting is canceled.
Wannamaker North Trail, Goose Creek - Closed until further notice.
Downtown Judicial Center Complex - Friday opening delayed until Noon.
Charleston Center (downtown) - Friday opening delayed until Noon.
The Citadel - Friday morning classes are canceled. Citadel Board of Vistors meeting will begin at 10 a.m. Friday.
Park West Preschool & Child Care, Mt. Pleasant - Friday opening delayed at 10:30 a.m.
Gateway Academy, Mt. Pleasant - Will open Friday at 10 a.m.
Lowcountry Senior Center, James Island - Opening delayed at 10 a.m. Friday
Charleston County School District - Employee report time for District 20 downtown schools and all 75 Calhoun Street Staff delayed until 10 a.m.
- Burke High School
- Sanders Clyde Elementary School
- Mitchell Elementary School
- LowCountry Tech Academy
Unity Baptist Academy, Mt. Pleasant - Opening delayed until 10 a.m. Friday
Trident Technical College campuses - all classes and activities are cancelled Friday and will reopen Saturday at their scheduled times.
Charleston County Health Department, Charleston - Opening delayed until Noon Friday
Charleston School of Law, Charleston - All classes cancelled Friday. Staff members will report to work at 10 a.m. when the law school will resume normal operations.
The Baby Depot, Summerville - Opening at 9:30 a.m. Friday
Coastal Kids Academy, Hanahan - Closed Friday
Olympia Gymnastics, Moncks Corner - will open at 9 a.m. Friday
Franklin C. Fetter Family Health Care Center, Charleston - will open at 10 a.m. Friday
Coastal Carolina Council, West Ashley - will open at 10 a.m. Friday
WC Christian Academy, Summerville - will open at 10 a.m. Friday
Stick with Live 5 News as we continue to update this list throughout the day.