Quantcast

Officials: Cigarettes sparked fire at Radcliffe House - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Officials: Cigarettes sparked fire at Radcliffe House

CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) -

Charleston Fire Department officials say the small fire at the Radcliffe House on Sunday originated from improperly-discarded cigarettes.

Firefighters arrived at the scene around 12:44 p.m. at 61 Vanderhorst Street to find smoke coming from the second floor of the apartment building.  The flames were brought under control within 10 minutes.  Fire crews were able to ventilate the building and evacuate the occupants and no one was injured.

Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh said the fire started in the living room.  He also said the apartment building was not equipped with a sprinkler system, but did have smoke alarms in each of the units.

Only the two occupants of the unit where the fire started were displaced.

Julazadeh reminds smokers to carefully dispose of smoking materials in a non-combustible ashtray and to always dispose of smoking materials before falling asleep.

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly