Quantcast

HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

HVAC unit sparks Colonial Village apartment fire, officials say

Posted: Updated:

An electrical issue with an HVAC unit is believed to be what sparked an afternoon fire at a West Ashley apartment complex, damaging two units, officials say.

Charleston Fire Department Fire Marshal Mike Julazadeh says it appears Tuesday's apartment fire at Colonial Village originated in a space between the first and second floor that contained HVAC equipment.

Charleston, Saint Andrews, and North Charleston Fire Departments responded to the scene at 1916 Sam Rittenberg Blvd. at 12:38 p.m.

Julazadeh says smoke and fire could be seen on one side of the apartment building. The blaze was extinguished and the building was searched within approximately 20 minutes.

Most of the damage involved the ground floor unit, while the second floor unit received minor damage. Both units are untenable, says Julazadeh.

No injuries were reported.

Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.

 

Powered by WorldNow