Columbia firefighter causes fire at own station - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Columbia firefighter causes fire at own station

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - A Columbia firefighter rushing to a call during a thunderstorm left a pot of grease on a stove that caused a blaze in the kitchen of a fire station.

Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins said sprinklers helped contain the blaze Monday evening before firefighters could get back to the station, but the fire still caused $20,000 in damage.

Jenkins says the fire station was empty when the grease caught fire because all the firefighters were responding to several call during a thunderstorm.

The fire chief says he knows some people might laugh at a firefighter causing a fire. But Jenkins says it shows fires can happen anywhere and no one is immune from a careless mistake that might spark a blaze.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly