South Carolina Department of Transportation crews have fixed the problem which caused a sinkhole on Interstate 26 at mile marker 192.5, but work will continue in the area.
According to James Law, SCDOT spokesman, crews were able to fix the damaged draining culvert which caused the sinkhole on Wednesday night. Law said a hole in the bottom of the culvert caused water to wash out the soil underneath it, causing the sinkhole.
Law said crews have not determined how the culvert became damaged. Concrete was used to fill the hole.
The work continues Thursday as crews begin the process of removing the steel plate placed over the sinkhole last week. When it’s removed, repaving can begin.
Law said the crane used in the area is expected to be removed Thursday night and all lanes of traffic will be reopened by Friday morning.
Crews will return next week to remove sheet pilings along that stretch of the road. Law said they did not have a definite date for when that will happen.
The sinkhole was first reported July 5 and was initially repaired, only for the problem to worsen. It was about the width of an interstate lane and about 25 feet long.
Copyright 2013 WCSC. All rights reserved.