Big turnout for fundraising carnival for couple injured in chase

From left to right: Coburn, Ellison, and Lance
From left to right: Coburn, Ellison, and Lance

SUMMERVILLE, SC (WCSC) - Lois Campbell stopped by Friday evening at a fundraiser held in honor of her and her husband, Julius Campbell. The couple was seriously injured last month after bank robbers led police on a chase.

As soon as she made an appearance, Lois Campbell was overwhelmed with hugs and kisses from kids, colleagues, and friends.

"I'm just taking it one day at a time, and I'm doing the best that I can do. My kids and my son-in-laws are taking very good care of me, and I appreciate it. I love them for that."

And, she too, is beloved by Beech Hill Elementary School and the community.

"When I think of Lois, you just think of sunshine," says fundraiser organizer Kara Muller. She is absolutely amazing."

"Rarely do people get an opportunity to see how much they're loved, and out of this tragedy that is the one thing I think is encouraging her," says Rene Harris, principal at Beech Hill Elementary School.

After just a few weeks of planning, friends and colleagues put on the finishing touches Friday. They say the support thrown behind an exceptional family surpassed their expectations.

"Not only gifts, but time, food, energy, it's incredible," says Muller

Lois and Julius were seriously hurt July 1st after getting caught in the middle of a high speed chase that ended on Highway 61 near Givhans.

"To see her in that condition was overwhelming," says Harris. "I don't think there are words sufficient for that because it really looked pretty bleak."

"There was just no question," says Muller. "We knew we had to do something, and we do everything big at Beech Hill."

Muller says from large corporations to mom-and-pop businesses, everything was donated. Harris says she knew her staff would come through.

"It's a phenomenal staff that's dedicated to caring for children and caring for each other and really making the whole concept of family and community a real, authentic piece," says Harris.

Lois was released from the hospital after about three weeks. Her husband remains at MUSC where hospital officials say he's recovering well.