CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Many Charleston residents will rest easy following a report by Variety that the MTV's "The Real World" series has opted not to bring their show to the Holy City.
Variety TV Reporter AJ Marechal said insiders told him Thursday that the 29th season will return to San Francisco, 20 years after the reality show first visited the city.
Marechal also said he was told this could be the last season for the show.
Earlier this month, Charleston resident Colin Raden started an online petition protesting the show after rumors circulated indicating the show was going to be filmed here. It generated thousands of signatures.
The petition read, "The purpose of this petition is to stop MTV from filming their new TV show here in Charleston, S.C.,"
"The city is too jam-packed as it is. It takes 15 minutes to go one mile in some areas of the peninsula as a result of how many people are here, and it is creating a huge inconvenience for those that call Charleston their home."
Raden also voiced concern the show may "ruin the multi-century old reputation behind Charleston."